Tuesday 25 February 2014

Pancake day preparations

Being the foodie that I am any day in the calendar that celebrates food and encourages the eating of vast amount of food is a winner in my eye and one of my favourites just happens to be Pancake Day. I love pancakes and crepes at the best of times but this is usually a breakfast of pudding option, but Pancake Day is one day of the year when I can have pancakes for my tea and well that is pretty special.



When it comes to toppings there isn’t much you can’t put on a pancake. 


As a child I was a big fan of a strawberry jam covered pancake, my sister opted for the 5 teaspoons of sugar over the top…without any lemon or honey just sugar, I found this very odd. 


Since my childhood I have become slightly more adventurous then a simple jam and the best pancake I have ever tasted was smothered in Nutella, chocolate chips, chocolate sauce and a scoop of vanilla icing, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.


In the build-up to  pancake day I have been searching for inspiration for the perfect pancake topping ideas and combinations and thought I would share with you my findings so you can cook up a pancake storm in the kitchen next week. 


 I might even have a practice run this weekend…purely for testing reasons of course!

 

 You can't go wrong with my good old favourite fruit jam topping. 


Sticking with the fruit theme, blueberry's, banana and syrup for the more healthy option....if your into that kind of thing. 



Or blueberry's, powder sugar and a squeeze of lemon, an old classic! 

Or mix one of your 5 a day with a good dollop of Nutella. 


Well this is more my kind of thing, pancake stack, fruit and chocolate. Perfect! 


Feeling creative? Teddy bear pancakes for the kids or any big kids in your household. 

Or a cinnamon bum style pancake, I need to try this looks delish! 

Maybe you prefer the savoury option? Bacon filled pancakes? What could be better, bacon and pancakes. Maybe I could have this for main and a sweet one for pudding? 

Savoury fillings not your cup of tea, don't worry I have all you sweet tooths covered? Birthday cake style pancake, complete with icing and sprinkles. 

Not a fan of icing, you could just go for fruit and sprinkles, looks so cute! 

 

Now when it comes to basic pancake recipe I stick to mummy’s recipe, every time I have one of her pancakes or recreate my own using the same recipe (yes I made her write it down for me when I moved out) it takes me back to my childhood,  my mum would make me and my sister as many pancakes as our tummies would allow us, don’t worry it was just once a year, this was not a daily or even a weekly occurrence. You can find loads of recipes online, just promise me promise me one thing? Don’t go and buy the add water mixes or ready made ones, pancakes are the easiest thing to whip up in the kitchen and taste 100 times better homemade.



So I think all that’s left for me to say is thanks for ready and bon appétit



 

2 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about pancake day!

    Tracey
    saturdaynightgirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could you forget a day where you can eat lots and lots of pancakes :p glad to have been a reminder :) xx

      Delete